Type 1 Diabetes Tattoos
No matter where you look, more and more people are getting tattoos. These permanent pieces of art may not be for everyone, but some have decided that a tattoo could serve as a form of medical ID. No matter what the reason, getting a tattoo is a personal decision and if done properly, can leave you with a beautiful and worthwhile patch of skin.
If you have type 1 diabetes and you are considering getting a tattoo, please keep the following in mind:
- Support: Speak with your doctor or diabetes educator before getting a tattoo. It is advisable to have their support in this decision.
- Glucose control: When blood glucose is high, the healing process needed with a tattoo may be impaired. For the best outcome, keeping blood glucose levels below 180 mg/dL is your best defense! There is no reason a person with diabetes cannot get inked as long as glucose control is maintained in a safe range.
- Safety: Get it done right! Look for a tattoo artist with a positive reputation or reviews; as well as one who works in a clean, well maintained tattoo parlor. Don’t be afraid to ask questions!
- Follow the Rules: Carefully follow the instructions provided to you by your artist for Post-Tattoo Care.
- In Oklahoma, you must be 18 years of age to get a tattoo.
If you would like to add your T1t at to our photo gallery, please text it to (405) 205-3185.